Goodbye 2020

Point Pleasant Sunset, Summer 2020

Here we are just 15 days away from closing 2020 and ringing in 2021. Together we rode out the storm of 2020; however we did it in our own vessel; whether it be a yacht, a tugboat or a life-raft. There was heartache, loss, and despair yet at times, there was also joy, silver linings, and moments of peace. What you as an individual take away from 2020 is all about you. Just because Taylor Swift released two albums, doesn't mean you waking up every morning is any less significant. That last sentence is so important and something that I have been thinking a lot about lately and you know what, I am proud of what I did in 2020. 

I can honestly say Jan-March 18th is a blur; however from March 19th- today there are so many very clear details some bigger than others, all worth celebrating in their own right. Unfortunately, not every event was worth celebrating, such as the loss of my only living grandparent in the last week of March, and the only one I knew throughout my life, my mom's mom. I for one, believe she is not only smiling down on her family but she reunited with my mom and they are watching over us. 

April- I celebrated my 33rd birthday in quarantine; however my roommate at the time, made sure we celebrated the best way possible and we had a zoom party that night with my family! I was also challenged in April working in NYC at the height of the coronavirus watching our troops support the local community. When the Comfort arrived in town, I am not sure if they knew just how much "comfort" they would bring with them. Daily they helped tirelessly as much as they could and a simple thank you always seemed to bring a smile to their face, along with mine. April came and went and I said goodbye to a career I was building at the time. 

For most of May I hunkered down here in New Jersey, only running out for the basic needs such as food and gas. 

Asbury Park 2020

With June, July & August came warmer temperatures which meant we could be outdoors more and socially distanced. I found myself exploring my backyard, New Jersey more and more. I created an Ice Cream Crawl my roommate and I here in NJ. Took a socially distance road trip to Kingston, NY for a change of scenery. I always wore a mask, stayed 12+ feet away from people and spent most of my days outdoors. Checked off eating at The Phoenicia Diner and seeing the O+ Murals. June also brought on a lot of grief, as it was 10 years since I lost my mom to cancer. I sought out help, and made a weekly appointment with a therapist which was one of the best things I did for my mental health. 

Avocado Toast from The Phoenicia Diner

In June, I decided to take the BRCA Gene Test, and found out that I was not a carrier, and even though that is a relief, it doesn't stop me from being pro-active with being checked yearly, as my mother's line all had Breast Cancer. However, I don't live anymore, not knowing the results of that specific gene test. I even went as far as writing about it and pitching it to a few publications; however it was not picked up. With that, I was proud of myself for even sending it out once I completed it. 

Kingston, NY 

September brought the Jewish Holidays which were spent apart but when you live close by, the food will somehow make it your destination, and for that I was extremely grateful. 

Here in the Northeast we have been blessed with great weather, basically up until last weekend. As I write this, we are in the middle of a "nor'easter" and it is snowing outside my window currently. We haven't seen a storm like this since March of 2018 when it almost crippled NYC & NJ. 

Since October, I have been writing more, shooting more (even photographed a small backyard wedding and a winter photoshoot), workin on some creative projects and reconnecting with friends through FaceTime and text/calls. 

New Jersey Sunset, Dec 2020

November brought us a newly elected president, which I do believe can help to bring change to America, which we desperately need right now. I will say it loud and clear- BLACK LIVES MATTER! Anti-Semitism is NOT OK. Gender Equality FOR ALL. These are important issues, ones we cannot ignore, as a nation. 

As I light the menorah this week for Hanukkah, I am reminded that light will overcome the darkness and we can work together. 

Chocolate Covered Oreo

I choose to close out 2020 on a high note, and look forward to what 2021 will bring, but most importantly I choose to believe in myself, and know that there is no more taking things for granted. The small joys, the gratitude and the love towards others will be at the forefront of the years to come. 



XoXo,
Tracy 

Comments

Popular Posts

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *