A Guide to Kingston, NY

Kingston, NY Waterfront

Kingston, New York is a short two hour drive from New York City. It is the perfect weekend getaway or overnight trip for a change of scenery. While we are in a full pandemic, and not everyone is comfortable traveling, I understand that. For myself, I did research and decided I felt comfortable with taking this weekend trip. I felt that this trip did wonders for my mind, body and soul as we navigate the unchartered waters of this global pandemic and the constant craziness of the country right now. When it is safe to travel again or when you feel comfortable, I highly recommend visiting Ulster County, especially Kingston, NY as it has so much to offer for both kids and adults!

Just check out the beautiful sunset I was able to catch down at the Waterfront on my first night in town. And everyone was extremely spaced out. I never got close to anyone and there were many people out on boats as well enjoying the evening! 

Where to Stay

When booking your getaway to Kingston there a few options to consider. First up, located one block from the historic Rondout Waterfront is The Forsyth B&B. Less than a 10 minute drive from downtown is both a Courtyard By Marriott & Residence Inn. I chose to stay at the Courtyard, and I will say I was very impressed with friendly staff, clean hotel and accessible location. Hotel Kinsley, located in Uptown Kingston, has 43 guest rooms amongst 4 distinct buildings. An old bank turned into a hotel and fine dining restaurant. Also, in the surrounding towns, you can chose one of them amazing AirBnB's. Kingston, is a place to visit all year round; so you have to decide what season fits you best! 

Where to Eat

Looking for a delicious seafood dinner with wonderful views of the waterfront, look no further than Mariner's Harbor. Closed Monday & Tuesday, they are open for lunch and dinner Wednesday through Sunday serving up delicious pastas, steaks, lobsters, sandwiches and more. 

Sunday Brunch at Ship to Shore, was delightful and I can see why it is a staple to diners since 1998. Changing over the menu, cocktail and wine list every season you are bound to find something new each time you visit. Eggs Benedict, served on a toasted baguette was a first, and let me tell you, it did not disappoint. Three Eggs, Smoked Bacon and the most seasoned potatoes I have ever tasted made this meal one of my favorites. 

Sunday Brunch at Ship to Shore


Dinner you have two very different options; Savona's Trattoria for that traditional Italian or Ole Savannah Southern Table & Bar for BBQ. Now if I had more time I would have eaten at both. I heard each restaurant was worth visiting, but went with Savona's Trattoria for outdoor dining. They have two other locations in Red Hook & Poughkeepsie. Easily I could have ordered one of everything and I was dining solo, yet I still ordered an appetizer and a full pizza. I took half the pizza back to my hotel room, for a midnight snack, because why not on vacation. 

Savona's TrattoriaSavona's Trattoria

Now if you are in Uptown Kingston, I recommend checking out the following: Hotel Kinsley, which offers locally sourced, fresh cuisine from local farmers in the region. Front Street Tavern, serving up comfort food that you didn't know you were craving. Diego's Taqueria, located off the main strip, can be missed but shouldn't be by anyone who loves a hip vibe, great music and delicious food. 

What to Do 




Right outside the Hudson Valley LGBTQ Community Center, the crosswalks were painted in a rainbow by staff members of the O+ Festival & Radio Kingston. O+ ( pronounced O Positive) is an organization created in 2010 in Kingston, NY where uninsured artists and musicians create and perform in exchange for services donated by doctors, dentists, and complimentary care providers. Now a national nonprofit they are working in cities around the country that empowers communities to improve health. Here is more about the Mural Program. I found a few during my short time visiting Kingston. 

O+ Festival Mural Program       Black Lives Matter Mural

The first mural, "Pronkstilleven" by Gaia. The second mural, pays Tribute to the Local Black Lives Matter Movement. This moving mural was created by Jalani Lion who painted the mural. The lettering was completed by Mat Schulze and the medicinal flowers were done by Dina Kravtsov

Trolley Museum of New York

Check out the Trolley Museum of New York, explore the gift shop and then take a Trolley ride! The kids will love it and the parents can sit back and relax or learn along side their children. Next door, is Hudson River Cruises the best for sightseeing boat tours in Hudson Valley!

Rondout Creek

Walk around the Rondout Waterfront area. Shops along the Main Street, Farmers Market on Sunday's and explore the local scenery as well. As you drive through Kingston, you can marvel at the cottages, the charming Victorian homes, and the wonderful parks and greenery throughout. Drive out of town for hiking, wineries, breweries and so much more. 

Have you been to Kingston, NY or anywhere in Ulster County? 

Discover Kingston, NYGuide to Kingston, NY

Xoxo,
Tracy 




Comments

  1. I grew up in Kingston -- it's amazing how much it's changed over the years. Your article makes me want to go back and revisit :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *