Natural Response

It's amazing that one word can literally mean so much in the sense of emotion. Grief is a natural response to loss. Wikipedia defines it as " Grief is a multifaceted response to loss, particularly to the loss of someone or something that has died, to which a bond or affection was formed."

The loss of my mother was 6 years ago and today I am still plagued with major grief and am having an extremely hard time moving forward. You never move on because it will always be with you. You learn to cope. Crying is a "normal" response as well as talking about the loss; however if forced it can be more dangerous then helpful. I cry often. I try to cry in the comfort of my home by myself and some would say that could be harmful; however I will tell you I sometimes find it very therapeutic. I also talk about my mother often and have been told by a therapist that I am a memorialist; committed to preserving the memory of my mom. One way I constantly do this is every year in the Jewish religion we light a Yahrzeit Candle. On Friday night I will attend services at my local synagogue where I am a member.

On the second half of this year, I plan to really work on moving forward from my grief. I want to be able to control my emotions. I want to be able to enjoy life and know that my mother would be proud of me. She would be happy to see me doing so well after a rough few years.

So why am I sharing this...because when someone wants to talk, be there to listen. Don't force someone to speak about loss and grief, but be accessible. I am really blessed to have friends and family who allow me to lean on them.



Tonight I remember you mom. Your bright red hair. Your outgoing, bubbly attitude. Your freckled face. Your contagious smile.

XoXo,
Tracy

Comments

Popular Posts

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *