Pink

On June 4, 2010 my life changed when my mother lost her 17 year battle from Metastatic Breast Cancer. I had always been extremely close with my mom. When in college would speak with her 3-4 times a day. We would spend days in NYC shopping. I could tell her everything and anything. My mother was sick throughout my childhood; however never once did she complain, seek pity, or make an excuse. She was stronger then anyone I ever knew. It's hard for me to think about her last few months because she was so different then. I wanted to remember the old her. The one who was loud, rambunctious, outgoing, and always the life of the party.

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month and the theme is "Pink."



Many brands are creating campaigns to bring awareness and help the cause. For example, Julia shared Land's End is kicking off their Pink Thread Project with this post!

Lokai created a bracelet that they are selling through 10/31/16. Did you know "Every 2 minutes, a woman in the U.S. is diagnosed with breast cancer." The Breast Cancer Research Foundation partnered with Lokai to help find a cure. I am hoping to purchase 2 bracelets one for my sister and I in the next few weeks.

If you watch CBS then you have seen the commercial for Ford Warriors in Pink. 

Alex & Ani, which was started in Rhode Island where I went to college also created a bracelet where proceeds will be donated to the Breast Cancer Research Foundation.

Finally, not a brand but an organization close to my heart, The America Cancer Society, holds each year the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk. In 2009 after college, I was lucky enough to work as a temp for the MSABC walk in Central Park. In years prior I was always a participant, and that year, the year before my mom passed I was able to work on that walk. I recruited participants, shared stories, created signs and flyers, all while knowing my mom was at the end of her battle. Some would say that it came full circle, I say I was honored to be part of an amazing team and that I made my mom proud.

After she passed I lost myself and it's only recently that I can say I am moving on. I will never forget her, but I do need to live my own life. It's time I moved forward.

Think about supporting a wonderful brand or organization this month. Help make a difference. Be part of something bigger then yourself.

XoXo,
Tracy










Comments

Popular Posts

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *