Locals Guide to New Jersey

Holmdel Park, NJ

Born and raised here in New Jersey, the Garden State, has a special place in my heart. It's home to my family, my friends, where I had my first crush, where I tasted both the Pork Roll & Taylor Ham and where I always come back to. I haven't always lived here though, as I found myself spending four years in Rhode Island for college, two years in NYC and a year and half in South Florida. However, I am back here and on those days where I want a change of scenery, I am reminded that there is so much to see in New Jersey that I haven't explored yet! Here we are, the middle of a pandemic, and the time to explore locally. 

First, will talk about how to explore locally, and then I will share some of my local spots in New Jersey, should you find yourself visiting our beautiful state! 

Avon-By-The-Sea


Social Media is a powerful tool and one that can inspire you to travel and explore locally through Instagram Posts, Hashtags, and Geographical locations.  Pinterest has millions of pins and all you have to do is type in your state, city or neighborhood and there is bound to be a post. 

Have you viewed a Map recently? Google Maps on your phone or a paper map you can find at a local gas station. Fun Fact, in New Jersey we don't pump our own gas. I have found new places if I open Google Maps when I get in the car with no idea where to go. 

Local Guides/Tours- Sometimes the best plan is to not have a plan at all. A boat tour, a food tour or a walking tour in your neighborhood could be very interesting. There are a few in NJ & NYC that I want to take. This is obviously for when it is safer, however I do know people who are doing them now safely, and following all CDC procedures. Also, you are supporting small business owners and giving back to your local community. This is a win win for both parties involved in my opinion. 

Take a Drive- If you love freedom and exploration, get in your car and drive. If you don't have a car, you can always take public transportation and get off somewhere new to you. It doesn't have to be far, and you can find something new with every turn. That feeling a road trip, but it only being an hour away, can excite you! 

Explore a New Culture- Take a language class, try a new cuisine or check out multicultural events in your area. Many of this can be done virtually and could be fun. 

Now here are some of my favorite local spots in New Jersey! There are still so many places that I want to explore, and will be doing. 

The Jersey Shore ( NO NOT THE TV SHOW)
Down the shore everything is right. Feet in the sand, waves crashing, ice cream melting before you can eat it and nights on the boardwalk. When it is safe to do so, I look forward to those days. Right now, I will say that after 5pm it is free to get on the beach at my favorite shore town, Avon. Free parking, Free Beach Access and almost an empty beach makes for the perfect nights for catching a beautiful sunset. As for other beach towns I love they are Asbury Park, Spring Lake, Ocean Grove and Belmar. 

Asbury Park




Liberty State Park 
Located on Upper New York Bay in Jersey City, it is opposite both Liberty Island & Ellis Island. With dramatic views of the Manhattan Skyline, millions of visitors explore the area every year. The 2-mile promenade, Liberty Walk is a great place for a picnic. Close by is the Liberty Science Center as well the "Empty Sky 9/11 Memorial".  

Princeton
The charming and quaint town is home to Princeton University, and offers an array of historical and cultural places. Stroll down Nassau St for something to eat, explore the local beautiful parks, or find yourself wandering through a museum or art exhibit. 


Grounds for Sculpture
This museum, sculpture garden, and arboretum where art and nature play is worth visiting. Currently you can purchase timed tickets as it is open Thursday through Monday 10am-6pm. Over 42 acres there are nearly 300 sculptures to see. Another cool feature is that it sits on the grounds of the former New Jersey State Fair. As a nonprofit public institution, it relies on the support of visitors, art patrons and donations. 

If you are looking for a great hike, these are highly recommended. I will be the first to say, I am not much of a hiker, but these come from my trusted family and friends.

Delaware Water Gap
The New Jersey Side of the Delaware Water Gap is home to part of the Appalachian Trail. Mount Tammany, is a 3.3 mile trail that is heavily trafficked and pretty challenging with a steady uphill climb over large rocks. The view, minus the highway below is worth the trek and a great workout. 

Ramapo Mountain State Forest
Located between Bergen & Passaic counties, there is much to see during this hike from the NYC Skyline over the mountains, to the beautiful lake along the trail. You will also find The Van Slyke Castle Ruins, a historical landmark in Wanaque, New Jersey. The trails distance along with the levels of difficulty range so before just deciding to go for a hike, visit the website or grab a map for some more information. 

Looking for delicious eats while you're visiting look no further than the following. 

Harolds Deli
The home of the world's largest pickle bar? Larger than life Triple Decker Sandwiches. 18 Layer Chocolate Cake? One pound Eclair? Listen up, check it out for yourself. Located in Edison, NJ it is easy to access, has the friendliest staff and the most amazing eats. Have you seen their Instagram

Harold's New York Deli Restaurant


New Jersey is known for their diners. Did you know that we have 525 diners in our state, the most out of any state. If you find one you don't like, that's OK cause there are many more to choose from next time. A few of my favorites include; The Marlboro Diner, The Tops Diner, and The Broadway Diner. If you want an honest review of over 300 of New Jersey diners, check out Hollie from Fueledbylolz

Marlboro Diner

Broad St. Dough Co
Owned and operated by a Desdemona Dalia, this wonderful donut shop has two locations in Oakhurst and Freehold. Their slogan #JerseyBornAndGlazed is perfect for the wonderful creations they are coming up with week after week. Just look at these delicious donuts. 

Broad St. Dough Co


Now that you have seen a few of my local spots in New Jersey, I hope you have the chance to visit one day! Tell me, what is one of your top local spots to visit? 




XoXo,
Tracy 














Comments

  1. Oh wow I never knew there were so many diners! Those food pics are so interesting. And I have always wanted to visit the Jersey Shore (since I saw the TV show) to say that I did!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *